Friday, December 27, 2013

Mother's Day and Moon Sand (5/14/14)

    We are now in our fourth week of homeschooling and it's going great!  I'm just amazed at how well my son is doing with listening and not whining to be done, not to mention how great he is doing learning.  I just love seeing the progress and growth that he is making. 
    Speaking of making things, last Sunday was mother's day.  Just because my boy isn't in public school anymore, I still want to get those little Mother's Day crafts and projects, they always mean so much. So I went onto Pintrest (ah, Pinterest), and searched 'mother's day crafts' and I let Cayden look through the different pins and pick out which one he'd like to do for art class.  He picked, and with a slight change, we made. I thought it came out great and I love it. It's hanging on our wall:



    He even did the whole writing for 'I love you this much!'  I did my own hand outline in black and then his in white and let him paint it. the original pin was just the child's hands, but I loved the idea of mine backing his. I just love it, and he's had to point it out to anyone that came in the house. lol

    We also finished our moon lessons last week, (which he really enjoyed and stayed engaged for most of it) and to finish it off I wanted to do something fun.  OK, so it wasn't actually directly related to the moon, but what better to end with than homemade 'moon sand.'



    We mixed 4 cups of flour and a cup of baby oil to get a consistency we liked. Originally I had planned to throw some food coloring in and have a pretty color, but we ended up playing with it in the normal sand color. Then when we were done just stuck it in a zip lock bag to play with later!  We had a lot of fun with it.

    And yes, my angel was in his pj's. One of the great things about homeschooling...you can have lazy days. Now personally, I have to get dressed in the morning. I'm not comfy hanging out, especially teaching in my pj's, but my son is another story. He loves being in his jammies. Typically if we aren't going anywhere after (or during) school, I give him the choice of getting dressed or hanging out in the jammies. He'll usually pick jammies.

    We're coming along well, I'm so happy with everything. Don't get me wrong, we have our moments and frustrations but so far they've been easily resolved and we've been able to stay on task.  Even on his least favorite subjects such as writing spelling words:

No comments:

Post a Comment