Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Teacher Learns (5/7/2014)

    We are into our third week of homeschooling and enjoying it. For the most part it has gone pretty smooth. Cayden has put a lot of effort into it because this is what he wants and he knows that if he wants to continue with it, he has to meet the expectations we have set. 
    Today though, I had to remember one of the reasons we are homeschooling and change my own attitude accordingly.  One of the things that appealed to me about homeschooling was my son being able to learn by what was easier for him, not by a set way to do something. Finding what works and goes with it...because we can. I found myself trying to set a guideline for my son today because in my mind that was the best way to do it. It wasn't the way he wanted to.
    We are trying to master counting by 5's. He gets stuck at 15. He can do; 5, 10 20, 25 ect, but can not remember what comes between the 10-20. So I decided we would try writing them in 5's order from 5-30. I set up his writing paper with the numbers across the top then made boxes under each number across the 5 writing lines for him to put the numbers in. The first couple lines went ok, then he started writing beside the boxes instead of inside the boxes. At this point I stop and tell him he needs to put the numbers inside the box. He doesn't want to. I said that's what you need to do. Now the tears start. Teacher frustration kicks in. I need a bathroom break. As I wash my hands I ask myself: Why is it necessary for him to write the numbers in the box that I made? Because I said so? Because in my mind that's the best way to keep it organized? That's how I pictured it working. I had no other reason except that. And what if we get rid of the boxes? The point of the exercise is to have him write them and say them as he does so he remembers them. (We've covered what it means, that you are adding 5 to each number.) As long as he is getting the practice and learning from it who cares about the boxes?
    I provided him with a new paper sans the boxes and with dry eyes, (after a short talk) he set back to work, 5 lines of counting by 5's to 30 and with added writing practice. He did the practice I wanted the way it was comfortable to him. (I think he felt cramped using the boxes I provided as his letters/numbers still range in the 'slightly to big sometimes' range.
    It was a good lesson for me.  A reminder of one of the reasons we are homeschooling and how important it is to keep an open mind and sometimes you have to rethink how you purpose something.

No comments:

Post a Comment